Qualifications & Associations
- Doctor of Physiotherapy ǀ University of Melbourne ǀ 2019
- Honours Bachelor of Science with specialization in Human Kinetics ǀ University of Ottawa ǀ 2013
- Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Member Sports Medicine Australia
- Associate Member Australian Hand Therapy Association
Karen has a special interest and experience in:
- Sporting Injuries & Return to Play, including:
Football, Netball, Rugby, Ice Hockey, eSports, Rock-Climbing, Gymnastics, Basketball
- Shoulder injuries
- Wrist Injuries
- Workplace Injuries
Karen is a certified SARAH (program for rheumatoid arthritis) hand therapist.
“My experience with Karen at Melbourne Hand Rehab in Richmond has been fantastic. She was so lovely and very, very attentive to making sure my recovery came along as far as it could. Thanks so much to the team and to her.”
– GRACE B
Experience & Professional Development
Karen Friesen has a Doctor of Physiotherapy from the University of Melbourne. She has experience working with semi-professional athletes as part of the medical team for the Coburg Lions (VFL) over the last four years. She has been a part of the medical teams for Coburg Superules Football Club (AFL Masters), Moonee Valley Football Club (EDFL) and at the 2019 Pacific Cup (Rugby Victoria) and the 2019 Next Gen Tryouts (NBL).
During her university studies, Karen completed placements in orthopaedic and neurological rehabilitation at the Austin Hospital, chronic pain and hydrotherapy at St. John of God Warrnambool and burn management at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
Karen has nine years of experience teaching group fitness classes, including hydrotherapy and pilates.
- University of Exeter Online, Rheumatoid Arthritis: Exercises for Hands (SARAH) – 2022
- Sports Medicine Australia Conference – 2021
- La Trobe Sport and Exercise Medicine Guiding the Return to Sport Symposium – 2020
- iMoveU Virtual Event – 2020
- The Non-Operative Management of Hand Fractures – 2020
- Australian Department of Health, Infection Control Training – COVID 19 – 2020
- Changing Risk Management for Musculoskeletal Disorders – 2020
- University of Calgary Online MOCC: Concussion – 2019
About Karen Friesen
My approach to care: I am committed to working together with you to find a pathway that lets you return to sport safely.
I am passionate about sport, with specific interest in football, rugby, eSports, gymnastics, swimming, rock climbing and ice hockey. My sports growing up were swimming, rock-climbing, and rugby. In addition to sport, I also enjoy cooking and sitting down with a good book.
Recent Media & Articles
- Wrist pain with push ups?
- Tips for avoiding smartphone hand pain
- Return to rock climbing – prevent new injuries
- Common tradies injuries – how to minimise risk
- Skating injuries & how to avoid them
- Elbow pain, is it tennis elbow?
- No Gym? No Problem! Rehab at home – wrist proprioception & stability exercises
- I hurt my finger playing sport – when should I see a hand therapist?
- How much does a splint cost?
- eSports and Gaming Injuries
- Getting Back to Sport Sooner