At Allsports Physio, we have partnered with Hand Therapy affiliates; Hand Therapy Group and Extend Rehabilitation to provide our customers with leading hand and upper arm-specific therapy services. These services are provided by our Hand Therapists who are qualified Occupational Therapists or Physiotherapists who have become skilled in treating upper limb conditions and injuries.
How do I know if I need Hand Therapy?
Hand therapy is right for you if your area of concern is anywhere surrounding the shoulder, arm, wrist, elbow, hand or fingers. Our hand therapists are experts in these areas and can help diagnose, treat and develop recovery and rehabilitation plans for upper limb injuries across all ages.
Some common conditions we treat using Hand Therapy:
- Fractures and dislocations
- Sprains and Soft tissue injuries
- Joint, ligament and tendon injuries
- Trigger finger
- Mallet finger
- Jarred finger
- De Quervains Tenosynovitis
- Dupuytren’s Disease
- Overuse injuries
- Arthritis and other inflammatory conditions
- Nerve damage
- ‘Tennis elbow’
What to expect from a Hand Therapy Appointment?
During your initial appointment, your Hand Therapist will discuss with you your current concerns and the area of injury or pain. These initial appointments can last up to 45-60 minutes. If you have any previous medical assessments such as Xrays or scans, please bring these with you as they will assist your Hand Therapist in evaluating your condition and developing a treatment plan.
There are many different techniques or treatments our Hand Therapists might use with you. These could include:
- Wound care, include dressing changes and removing sutures/staples
- Oedema (swelling) management
- Custom made thermoplastic splinting, both static and dynamic
- Scar management
- Desensitisation and sensory retraining
- Exercise therapy, including home exercise programs
- Self-management strategies, such as joint protection for arthritis
- Continuous passive motion (CPM) machine use
- Use of modalities, such as ultrasound, laser and TENS.
How many sessions will I need?
During your appointment with us, your Hand Therapist will determine the number of sessions you will need, dependant on the level of injury or condition. They will put together a rehabilitation/treatment plan tailored to your specific condition. This plan might include self-guided Hand Therapy techniques for at home care such as self-guided hand therapy exercises, custom made hand or arm casts or splints, use of a hand therapy ball or other at-home physical therapy activities.
Choose from our participating locations below, to book your Hand Therapy appointment online today.